Dearham Primary School is committed to actively promoting British values to ensure our pupils leave us fully prepared for life in modern Britain.
The government emphasises that all schools should ensure that they teach pupils about British values.
We take every opportunity to promote the fundamental values of:
- The rule of law
- Individual liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs
Through the promotion of these values, our school aims to ensure pupils:
- Understand the democratic process and how citizens can have a say in decision making.
- Recognise the advantages of living under the rule of law and how law is essential for a safe society.
- Understand that there is a separation of power between the executive and the judiciary and why it exists.
- Understand the reasons for accountability of institutions and why courts maintain independence.
- Know why freedom of religion protects all faiths, as well as those with no faith.
- Accept that people who hold different religious beliefs should be tolerated and not discriminated against.
- Value the importance of identifying and combatting extremism.
We promote British values both within and beyond the classroom and these values are at the heart of our ethos. Here are just some of the ways our school seeks to embed the teaching of British values.